Black Lives Matter—Our Pledge
Museums and cultural institutions have the potential to inform and inspire in a singular way. They can be transformative spaces where people of all backgrounds can come together to see culture through an intersectional lens. As exhibition designers, we know representation matters in the stories we tell.
We are committed to telling the complex and sometimes uncomfortable stories of Black America. History, art, and culture are irrevocably intertwined with the systemic oppression of these voices. It is our responsibility to develop a deeper level of empathy and understanding through the work we do.
Black Lives Matter—today, and always.
To bring the change we want to see in the world, here are the actions G&A—and our staff—are taking:
1. Two years ago, G&A began a strategic initiative to develop the next generation of leadership—an extended leadership team that is diverse in capabilities, but also in age, gender, orientation, and ability. We are proud of the strides we have made, but acknowledge we have more to do to become a more racially diverse organization.
2. To accelerate the Diversity, Equity & Inclusion (DEI) initiative started in 2019, we are immediately initiating a DEI Committee of non-executive-level staff to establish concrete steps G&A will take to ensure our work environment is as positive and inclusive as possible. We will work to better establish ourselves as a beacon of optimism for people of all backgrounds to feel welcomed and comfortable joining our team.
3. We are partnering with diverse schools and universities to inspire the next generation of experience designers and content developers. We are doubling down on our Corporate Social Responsibility Program to make design a more inclusive and accessible profession for youth throughout the country.
4. We are committed to telling the stories of Black America. We will amplify their voices through the stories we choose and the platforms we use for sharing them.
5. Next, we are matching staff’s donations to charities of their choice that advocate for and support justice and change.
6. And lastly, we are offering each staff member a day off to volunteer their time towards the cause of their choice or to use for personal growth, reflection, and learning—whichever is most meaningful to them.
We are listening, we are learning, and we are amplifying diverse voices through our work. We do not have all the answers, but we are committed to doing what it takes to foster a safe, equitable, and inclusive future for all.