Gallagher & Associates is recognized internationally as a leader in creating successful, engaging experiences — synthesizing the physical and digital worlds in ways that move people, momentarily stopping time and creating lifelong impact.
Leveraging nearly 25 years as a leader in the museum master planning, exhibit design, and branding worlds, G&A is pioneering new markets and new geographies. With an independent, founder-owned network of interdisciplinary design studios in New York City, San Francisco, Washington DC, and Singapore, G&A brings a highly regarded collaborative style, plus design and service excellence, to clients and public spaces around the world.
Working in collaboration with G&A’s groundbreaking designers, the Gallagher Museum Services (GMS) team provides critical strategy and business planning services. During each phase of a cultural institution’s life, the GMS team operates as a trusted advisor to the firm’s clients, ensuring that each strategic and tactical decision leads to a project that is achievable in the short term and financially sustainable in the long-term. From right-sizing a project through responsible interpretive masterplans and feasibility studies, to ensuring its built on time and under budget through effective owner’s representation services, to setting up and operating an institution for long-term success through financial and management advisory services, the GMS team is comprised of a proven group of interdisciplinary professionals, working side by side with the institution’s leadership to ensure a project’s strategy, structure, and execution support an institution’s mission and strategic objectives.
Our Washington, DC Studio is looking for a highly motivated and diversely talented Financial Analyst to join our team, who will be responsible for supporting GMS projects across the firm’s geographic offices and design studios.
The Financial Analyst will assist in the development and execution of key market analyses, summary reports, and client presentations. S/he will lead in performing project-based data research, financial modelling, and presentation reporting. S/he will provide direct support to the GMS leadership team in service to the firm’s clients as trusted advisors, throughout a project’s lifecycle, or from concept to opening and daily operations. S/he will coordinate her/his individual actions with both internal and project teams to deliver the highest level of customer service to our clients. The ideal candidate will possess keen analytical and organizational skills, as well as a strong collaborative mindset and interpersonal communication approach.
As a member of our diverse group your responsibilities will include:
- Audience segmentation (e.g., residents, tourists, K-12 students) and demographic research by geographic market
- Comparable cultural institution research by location proximity and related topic area
- General market area research and analysis (e.g., economy, development, etc.)
- General cultural institution performance research and analysis (e.g., IRS 990s, income statement, balance sheet, cash flow statements, donation summaries)
- Industry Database research and analysis (e.g., attendance, salary ranges
- Budget vs. actual performance analysis
- Admissions ticket pricing and market positioning
- Component revenues and expenses (e.g., retail, food & beverage, private events)
- Financial modeling of future prospective operations
- Full- and Part-time staffing schedules and reporting relationships (i.e., Organizational charting)
- Breakeven, sensitivity, and scenario planning analyses
- Departmental expense analysis (e.g., staffing, utilities, security)
- Space Utilization Planning and analysis
- Operational contract review and comparison analysis
- Return on Investment analysis (e.g., Payback, IRR, NPV, support of mission, etc.)
- Assist with business development activities for new GMS pursuits
- Maintain an understanding of exhibit and museum development including feasibility, project financing, design, graphic design, media production and exhibit fabrication, general construction, and operations
- Maintain familiarity with museum industry standards: AAM guidelines, operational strategies
Skills and Knowledge
The successful candidate should have strong analytical, quantitative, research and problem solving skills. An individual who can produce innovative insights from research and analysis. You should be able to think independently within structured guidelines, proactively communicate and possess a demonstrated history of the following:
- Ability to solve practical problems and deal with variables in situations that are often ambiguous
- Strong business partnering and effective communication as part of a cross-functional team
- Organizational, project and time management skills resulting in strong follow through on multiple, on-going large and small tasks
- Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form
- Capacity to properly set and maintain priorities in a changing environment
- Solid understanding of business accounting principles, financial metrics and the use spreadsheet programs
- Consistency in performance, results and attention to details
- Provide clear and concise reporting
- BS/BA Degree in Finance, Accounting, or other business-related major and/or 1-5 years related experience in business/financial or strategic analysis required, preferably within management consulting industry
- Intermediate to advanced experience with key analytical and presentation software, including Microsoft Excel/Google Sheets and Microsoft Powerpoint/Google Slides. Should have the ability to create queries, macros, pivot tables, formulas and link spreadsheets/slides.
- Adept at comprehending proprietary databases
- Strong business communication skills (written and oral)
- Competency and comfort in public-speaking
- Pleasant teamworking demeanor and attitude towards collaboration
Competitive Salary, Vacation, Sick, and Personal Holiday, Company Paid Holidays, Flexible Spending Accounts (FSA), Employee Referral Bonus Program, Medical Plan & Dental Plan, Summer Fridays and more…
It is an exciting time to join G&A and we have the core values to prove it — Excellence, Impact, Integrity & Balance shape our future and are designed and defined to help our team understand the link between strategy and relationship building. These values explain how the day-to-day translates into supporting aligned efforts and goals across the board. Join us as we continue to develop our future together, to fit our style and your success!
Please send resume and digital portfolio as a PDF file to [email protected]